Providence St. Joseph Health in Portland, OR invites applications for the position of Senior Research Scientist.
Information below copied directly from listing page:
Providence St. Joseph Health is calling a Senior Research Scientist, Spiritual Health to our location in Portland, OR.
The Research Scientist will conduct industry literature reviews and develop partnerships and research projects to evaluate innovative, evidence-based interventions and strategic clinical and operational initiatives implemented in various settings across Providence St. Joseph Health. The Research Scientist will act as a principal investigator on most projects. The Research Scientist will develop new projects and shepherd them through the research project lifecycle, including project planning, design, implementation, analysis, and dissemination. This position reports to the VP, Spiritual Health and must establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels at Providence St. Joseph Health, external researchers, contractors, vendors, funders, and other partners.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Lead interdisciplinary, cross-functional project teams in the development and implemention of research projects to accomplish specific scientific goals; lead or contribute to research study design, project management, data collection and analysis, and dissemination and reporting.
- Develop, oversee, and manage core research documents, including study protocols, standard operating procedures, study specific training materials, and Institutional Review Board (IRB), compliance and other institutional/agency regulatory documents. Ensure studies are conducted in compliance with the respective investigational plan/protocol and all applicable regulations, IRB requirements, and other institutional policies and procedures.
- Identify funding opportunities that align with Providence St. Joseph Health strategic priorities and lead or contribute to the development of funding proposals.
- Lead and contribute to research project activities including: development and testing of primary data collection tools; study recruitment, participant enrollment/consent and data collection; extraction of secondary data from electronic medical records; and data cleaning and analysis. Supervise, direct, and evaluate project staff as needed.
- Write reports, memos, abstracts, and peer-reviewed manuscripts for publication, and prepare presentations that provide recommendations and actionable insights to inform decision making.
- Conduct literature reviews, consult with internal and external experts, and participate in formal development opportunities to inform project ideation and to stay abreast of evidence-based best practices and clinical guidelines, research methods and techniques, regulatory requirements, and innovation in healthcare delivery.
- Establish and maintain interdisciplinary partnerships and collaborations with chaplains, physicians, academic researchers, institutional leaders, and other stakeholders within and outside of Providence St. Joseph Health.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Master’s Degree in Epidemiology, economics, public health, theological studies, or related health or social science field
- 7 years of progressive responsibility in managing clinical or health services research projects and programs in clinical, academic, or healthcare setting
- Experience may be concurrent with pursuit of PhD degree
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Ph.D. in Epidemiology, economics, public health, psychology, or related health or social science field
- 2 years of grant writing experience for health services research
- 2 years of experience as an investigator developing and leading research projects
- 2 years of experience writing and publishing research articles in peer reviewed journals
About the department you will serve.
Providence Shared Services provides a variety of functional and system support services for our Providence family of organizations across Alaska, California, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and Washington. We are focused on supporting our Mission by delivering a robust foundation of services and sharing of specialized expertise.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Research
Req ID: 296866