As part of the Lab’s project Educating Effective Chaplains, Wendy Cadge and Shelly Rambo have convened national leaders in spiritual care practice and education to present a landmark textbook for chaplaincy educators. Chaplaincy and Spiritual Care in the Twenty-First Century offers both an overview of contemporary chaplaincy as well as a framework for what chaplains in training need to know in order to serve others.
With support from the Henry Luce Foundation, Chaplaincy and Spiritual Care in the Twenty-First Century helps educators prepare chaplains for the day-to-day reality of their work. The book answers key questions like “How should chaplains navigate organizations? What should chaplains do when confronted by differential power dynamics? How can chaplains foster meaningful interpersonal relations with individuals of all backgrounds while remaining grounded in the chaplains’ own traditions?”
This groundbreaking textbook covers a wide range of topics from numerous leaders in the field, covering the background of chaplaincy, meaning-making, interpersonal competencies, and organizational competencies:
- Chaplaincy in the United States: A Short History (Ronit Stahl)
- Chaplaincy Work and Preparation across Sectors (Taylor Paige Winfield)
- Meaning Making in Chaplaincy Practice: Presence, Assessment, and Interventions (Dagmar Grefe, Pamela McCarroll, and Bilal Ansari)
- Leading and Facilitating Spiritual Reflection (Victor Gabriel and Duane Bidwell)
- Meaning Making through Ritual and Public Leadership (Rochelle Robins and Danielle Tumminio Hansen)
- Interpersonal Competencies for Cultivating Spiritual Trust (Carrie Doehring and Allison Kestenbaum)
- Interpersonal Competencies in Spiritual Care (Thomas St. James O’Connor and Michelle Kirby)
- Interpersonal Competence in Contextualizing Power Dynamics in Socially Just Spiritual Care (Richard Coble and Mychal Springer)
- Facilitating Resilience: Chaplaincy as a Catalyst for Organizational Well-Being (Nathan White)
- Through a Multi-Frame Lens: Surviving, Thriving, and Leading Organizations (Su Yon Pak)
- The Emotional Undercurrents of Organizations (Laurie Garrett-Cobbina)
This book is a vital resource for educators and will help shape a new generation of spiritual care providers. It is available for order now at a 40% discount (use code 01DAH40) and will launch on June 14, 2022.
The book was launched on a Chaplaincy Innovation Lab webinar on June 15, 2022; that event can be viewed here:
The book was presented at Boston University School of Theology on November 2, 2022; that event can be viewed here:
“Really wonderful. Beautifully published!”
-LG, Hospital Chaplain
Click the image above to order. Use discount code 01DAH40 for 40% off.