It is with great pleasure that we announce a new position at New York Zen Center, the Contemplative Educator Candidate. As the Zen Center continues to serve as medicine for these times, we are delighted to expand the teaching leadership team.
The ideal candidate for this role has cultivated a depth of Zen practice, commitment to diversity, equity, interdependence and justice, has completed CPE Level II training, and has already completed a Master in Divinity. Applicants must want to continuously practice intra-personally, interpersonally, and in the role as an education leader in a learning community model of practice.
The Contemplative Educator Candidate will collaboratively support and lead our contemplative education offerings, and be committed to the path of becoming a Zen-based ACPE Certified Educator. This role is the first step on the path to becoming a Contemplative Educator and/or ACPE CPE educator for NYZC. Candidates will ultimately supervise CPE groups, collaborate on curriculum design and engage in our various educational and spiritual care offerings.
This role is full time, exempt, benefitted, and open to candidates residing locally in the New York City area.
Reports to: NYZC President and Director of Studies; collaborates with the Guiding Teachers
Direct reports: Foundations in Contemplative Care Mentors
- Works collaboratively with the Guiding Teachers & Director of Studies in proactively supporting and enhancing the education and practice offerings of the Zen Center
- Trains as an ACPE CPE Accredited Educator
- Serves as a mentor to students and mentors in our Foundations in Contemplative Care program
- Participates in both NYZC President’s CPE groups, or if already certified, facilitates one CPE group independently
- Coordinates clinical placements for Foundations in Contemplative Care and CPE
- Works with Guiding Teachers, Director of Studies, Online Program Manager and mentors on updating content for Foundations in Contemplative Care and CPE curricula and processes
- Conducts prospective student interviews for Foundations in Contemplative Care and assists with CPE interviews
- Helps to clarify the various pathways to chaplaincy, including board certification, chaplaincy career options, and education requirements
- Serves as principal contact to answer chaplaincy pathway questions from prospective students
- Stays current with curriculum and website compliance with ACPE guidelines and requirements
- Assists NYZC President with administrative duties, including scheduling, preparation, and entering student information on the ACPE website at the end of each CPE unit
- Attends staff meetings, trainings, classes, events, and practice sessions as assigned; supports educational environment online and in person
- Supports NYZC President and Director of Studies with duties as assigned
- Performs most functions of the role on location at the Zen Center; occasionally accompanies team members for off site teaching retreats and trainings as needed
- Collaborates with and assists the Director of Contemplative Care in facilitating spiritual support and other offerings of clinical contemplative care
Zen Practice and Training
- Practices with the sangha twice a week and at least six half-day sits a year, to be scheduled on hire
- Warm, friendly, helpful, solution-focused, resourceful, self-starter and systems thinker
- Committed practitioner of Buddhadharma
- Completed or completing 4 units of CPE and continuing into ACPE Educator Path
- MA or MDiv (or completing)
- Excellent communication skills with Guiding Teachers, staff, colleagues, potential students, and current students
- Proven leader with exceptional organizational skills
- Comfort with technology to include Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Suite, Salesforce, Zoom, Asana
- Formal Zen Student preferred
- Medical and Dental Benefits
- Vacation/Retreat time